So, I have waited a week to write this post, hoping that I could write something positive and uplifting. Unfortunately a week has gone by, and I have no good news. Actually I have no news at all. Our Ryan SR called last week and let us know that the house we choose would not fit on the lot we choose. I guess the lot would have been large enough if it wasn't a corner lot, but with a corner lot, a house must be built at least 15 feet from the lot line. Our house is too wide by 1 foot. It was nice of Ryan to tell us this a week after we signed our contract, and after they cashed our 5% earnest money...
First, the SR asked if there was any other lot we liked. There really wasn't. We wanted a lot on a street with little to no traffic, and it was the last lot left on a quiet street (that wasn't a basement lot). Next, he asked if we wanted to wait the 5 or 6 months when they open up the next phase of the subdivision. Uh... I'm pretty sure you knew I was pregnant and wasn't excited about waiting 4 months for a house to be built to start with, let alone a year.
His next suggestion was to ask the developer if they could buy an extra foot off of the next lot (since our side of the street has 3 empty lots--all basements, and an open area), so that the house could fit. There really was no other option, so he said he'd work on getting that extra foot. That was a week ago. I have been updated via email about once every other day or two, to let me know that they still haven't heard anything.
I understand that mistakes happen, but I feel this situation could have been rectified before we even signed a contract if they had just looked at the measurements. Now, we are in limbo. Our money is tied up in a contract that may never come to fruition, and now we can't put an offer on any other house until they make a decision.
Not sure what God's plan is for us here, but I'm trying to wait as patiently as I can. If this is God shutting a door, I just hope he can do it quickly :)